During the summer there’s nothing like a refreshing, fresh berry salad to cool you off during the heat right? I know it’s starting to shift into “grilled cheese and tomato soup” weather and a salad doesn’t sound as comforting, but that’s only because you haven’t tried this amazing recipe yet! (Put the grilled cheese and tomato soup down! Loaded with saturated fats, creams, and calories.) This salad has just the right amount of hot, comforting ingredients without taking the crisp, refreshing-ness out of a salad that we all know and love!
Serving Size: 4
Ingredients: 1 large eggplant, 1 large red onion, 2 bell peppers, 3 zucchinis, 1 clove of garlic (if you’re a garlic lover like me), mixed green salad mix, 4 chicken breasts, 2 avocados, 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 1 tbsp pine nuts (per salad), 1 tsp. low fat parmesan (per salad), salt and pepper.
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Rinse all the vegetables and skin the eggplant
3. Dice all the vegetables so that they’re relatively the same size and finely chop the garlic. Marinate the chicken breast in a bowl with a little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper
4. Get a sheet pan and sprinkle olive oil evenly all over the surface and spread the vegetables and garlic on. Get another small sheet pan and add the chicken breast
5. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the veggies and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes (until the eggplant is nice and soft)! Place the chicken in the oven as well and make sure it’s on the rack below the veggies so we can prevent cross contamination! Leave the chicken in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until it reaches 180 degrees or feels very firm.
6. While the vegetables and chicken are cooking, were going to make the vinaigrette! Mix the balsamic vinegar and olive oil into the same container and add the dijon mustard so that it can stabilize. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Wash your mixed greens
8. Once the goodies in the oven are done cooking remove them and let them rest for five minutes!
9. Mix your mixed greens with the vinaigrette, add the vegetables, chicken breast , and slice a half an avocado on top of each salad.
10. Sprinkle the parmesean and pine nuts on top and enjoy! 😊